Community

Local Fresh, Local Strong, Local Co-op

By |

I have a clear memory of sitting at my kitchen table four years ago and reading a newspaper article about a small group that was forming to discuss a neighborhood grocery store three miles from my home in Brunswick, MD. My memory is probably so clear because something inside nagged at me to save the [...]

Garden Where You Are, Not Where You’re Not

By |

My first garden, against a wall, in a parking lot next to my tiny apartment. 34 square feet of garden that gave me 34,000 square feet of pleasure. There are problem areas in a garden and then there are problem gardens, period. Poor drainage, terrible views, a neighbor with a security [...]

Eating Cheaply. Eating Well.

By |

Recently, I was fortunate to participate in a panel discussion about eating well on a tight budget. Though I love good, wholesome food and beautiful things, I am, and have always been, a self-proclaimed cheapskate. Compliment me on my brushed camel coat and a demure smile is the last thing to settle upon [...]

Cluck Cluck

By |

The topic of backyard chickens has reared its feathered head again, causing a spate of ruffled feathers and poor puns throughout local newspapers. It has been over five years since we fought and lost this particular battle in Brunswick. Situated as I am now, comfortably out of city limits and ever more comfortably outside the [...]

Deer: It’s What’s For Dinner

By |

In Montgomery County, Maryland, it is now estimated that the deer population is hovering near 100 head per acre.  It's enough to make decent gardeners tear up their landscaping in despair and put down gravel and plastic flowers. Not that it will work.  A friend of mine in Germantown moved his deciduous hollies [...]

Christmas [Rose] Frenzy

By |

The little guy who started it all: H. niger 'HGC Jacob' - Photo courtesy of John Willis Photography Three seasons in a garden and we all need a rest, but no sooner had I written the words, "It is finished" in a recent article than I was sent an e-mail from [...]

Death of a Conversation

By |

I was asked by a friend if I would republish this column for Thanksgiving day as a gentle reminder of what we give up when we turn on our phones around the dinner table.  There are moments in life when we are stimulated by conversation, and other moments not so much; but by turning our [...]

A Gardener Grew Here

By |

It’s More Complicated Than That

By |

The dream of a garden must sometimes remain a dream for many. Faced with a distinct lack of resources in the cash department, or by obligations of family, debt or employment, many people find themselves aching for a square foot in which to plant a simple tomato, and unable to do anything more [...]

How Does Your (Community) Garden Grow?

By |

In the depths of February, gardening seems like a pretty fabulous idea. With everything in deep dormancy and fresh salsa just a mouth-watering few months away, we are liable to make promises that are hard to keep once spring schedules start up and time becomes precious. Thus in the depths of February, I, [...]